Candida albicans is a common yeast that grows inside the human body, it is yeast continue living in our body and eat us up after we die. Generally, other bacteria and immune cells keep this yeast under control so it doesn’t cause any harm. But, sometimes candida can grow out of control and can cause infections in various areas such as the mouth, anus, skin, or vagina.
Here are 10 common candida symptoms
- Skin and nail fungal infections (such as athlete’s foot or toenail fungus)
- Feeling tired and worn down or suffering from chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia
- Digestive issues such as bloating, constipation, or diarrhea
- Autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis
- Difficulty concentrating, poor memory, lack of focus, ADD, ADHD and brain fog Migraines, Depression
- Skin issues such as eczema, psoriasis, hives, and rashes
- Irritability, mood swings, anxiety, or depression
- Vaginal infections , urinary tract infections, rectal itching or vaginal itching
- Severe seasonal allergies or itchy ears
- Strong sugar and refined carbohydrate cravings
How do you get candida overgrowth?
- Eating a diet high in refined carbohydrates or grains and sugar (which feed the yeast)
- Taking a round of antibiotics that killed too many of those friendly bacteria
- Consuming a lot of alcohol
- Taking birth control pills, patchs or creams, hormonal changes
- Eating a diet high in beneficial fermented foods like Kombucha, sauerkraut and pickles
- Living a high-stress lifestyle
- decreased digestive function
- food allergy or sensitivities
There are many natural candida cures that can help manage and even reverse this condition but the first place to start is by getting on a candida diet.
Top 5 Candida Cures
#1 Probiotics (50 billion units daily)
A blend of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria will give your body healthy bacteria which can help reduce the presence of yeast.My favorite are: insync Natural Probiotic Supplement or Align
#2 Oil of Oregano (5 drops 3x daily)
Oregano oil is naturally antibacterial and anti-fungal.
#4 Garlic (2 caps or cloves daily)
Helps fight fungal infections and boost the immune system.
#5 Curcumin, Cinnamon and Coconut Oil Can help overall body circulation and fighting yeast Curcumin
Essential Oils For Candida
The best essential oils for candida have anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties. These oils include clove, oregano, melaleuca and myrrh essential oils.
The Candida Diet
Colorful vegetables – Whole foods provide essential vitamins and minerals to help with healing and boost the immune system.
Green drinks – Green vegetables will help improve your immune response.
Ground flax and chia seeds – Flax and chia seeds are anti-fungal.
Unsweetened cranberry juice – Cranberry juice creates an acidic environment which is unpleasant for yeast.
One Succesful Story
It tooks about six months to go through this process but at the end symptom-free, we did:
1. Starve the yeast: This is the first step and we do this with diet. First, no sugar, which will feed the candida. No fruit in the first two weeks of treatment, then fruit is limited to two low-glycemic choices. No milk, which has the sugar lactose that tends to promote yeast overgrowth and in some cases, because milk can contain antibiotics, can promote overgrowth. No yeast-containing foods such as alcohol, peanuts, melons are recommended. Remove food sensitivities: By removing foods a patient is sensitive to (through testing, or an elimination diet), the gastrointestinal tract is better able to repair.
2. Kill the critters: This is can be a months-long process. Each month, I switch the protocol. Potentent antifungal herbs that I use: berberine, grapefruit seed extract, olive lea f-- there are many that are valuable. These are always combined with caprylic acid, which is also excellent at breaking down candida.
3. Repopulate the gut: It's essential to put good bugs into the gut to crowd out the bad ones; sacchromyces boulardii is particularly good at this. I have people rotate probiotics monthly. Probiotics also encourage proper bowel movements; if you're not pooping properly, the body will recirculate yeast and that's the last thing you want. Other things that ensure elimination: flaxseeds, psyllium and chia seeds mixed in salads and smoothies. Fermented foods are great for repopulating the gut with good bacteria: kimchi, sauerkraut, kefir, yogurt and coconut water are my patients' favorites.
4. Support the detox process: Enhanced liver function is imperative at this time. The liver is the body's oil filter and when you get rid of Candida, it has to function optimally to help the body rid itself of the yeast. Too, candida has been shown to damage the liver. My favorite approach to liver support is biotherapeutic drainage, but I also use milk thistle and things like molybdenum.
5. Emotional healing: It is so important to take it easy while going through this process. The feared die-off reaction can amplify the symptoms of Candida for a short period of time and this can be upsetting and debilitating. I happily spend a lot of time supporting my patients through this phase. I often recommend constitutional homeopathic remedies, which are excellent at rebalancing and supporting the body's overall vitality during this time of cleansing.
How do you test for Candida overgrowth?
You'll want to check your levels for IgG, IgA, and IgM candida anti-bodies. These can be checked through most any lab. High levels indicate an overgrowth of candida. I find in my clinic that these can often be negative even when the stool or urine test is positive.
I find this to be the most accurate test available. This will check for candida in your colon or lower intestines. The lab can usually determine the species of yeast as well as which treatment will be affective. (Note: be sure that your doctor orders a comprehensive stool test rather than the standard stool test.)
Urine Organix Dysbiosis Test
This test detects a waste product of Candida yeast overgrowth known as D-Arabinitol. An elevated test means an overgrowth of candida. This test will determine if there is candida in your upper gut or small intestines.
Book & references
The Candida Cure: Yeast, Fungus & Your Health - The 90-Day Program to Beat Candida & Restore Vibrant Health